Re: Emacs & X

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:26:02AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

> Is there any version of emacs that isn't dependent upon having
> XFree86 installed?

If you rebuild it yourself, I'm sure any version of emacs is X-optional.

> I love emacs.  I can't install XFree86 (or rather, don't need to
> waste the space).  I know that the real emacs is not XFree86
> dependent.  I know that xemacs is.

mwr@ch208h(1):~$ apt-cache show emacs19 | grep Installed-Size:
Installed-Size: 15795
mwr@ch208h(1):~$ apt-cache show emacs20 | grep Installed-Size:
Installed-Size: 26546
mwr@ch208h(1):~$ apt-cache show xlib6g | grep Installed-Size:
Installed-Size: 4024

The extra 4MB on top of the 16-27MB you just burnt to install emacs
isn't terribly substantial. But you can always download the debianized
sources to emacs, tweak the build options in debian/rules, and rebuild
it without X.

Trim followups to debian-user, since this is not testing related.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu