Freeciv and GTK in woody

I'm not sure if this is a problem with freeciv or Woody's implementation of
GTK, but I suspect GTK.  When a menu is open (a drop-down menu from the menu
bar) on the Freeciv GTK client at the same time that the turn ends, the X
server totally freezes.  Nothing can be clicked, although the cursor moves,
and no windows are updated even if they would be without being selected.
The server has to be closed with ctrl-alt-backspace or a kill command.  The
reason I suspect it's a problem in the GTK implementation (or just a bad
combo of freeciv and GTK) is that I wouldn't expect the entire X server to
freeze if it were only a problem with the freeciv client.  It would be
helpful if someone could try to test the Freeciv xaw client (which, of
course, doesn't use GTK) to see if the same thing happens.