Re: "Upgrading" redhat

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:36:35PM +0100, Igor Genibel wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:33:09AM +0000, Giles Constant wrote:
> > Hullo,
> >
> > Has anyone here been sadistic enough to try putting apt (for debs) on a
> > redhat box and "upgrading" it? :-)
>
> just try http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

Apparently what you're describing is called sidegrading, and everyone I know
who attempted it just backed up his /etc, /home and part if his /var and
then applied the instructions at debian.org for installing Debian from a
Linux system (see
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-install-drive).
For the record, don't mount your existing /etc and /var (/home won't do much
harm) since Debian has a radically different directory structure. Just
install Debian, then untar your backup in a safe place and replace Debian
config files with your finely hand-tuned RedHat config files.

You're propably looking for a simple answer, but I guess replacing the
distribution the hard way is going to cause the least problems.

Oh, and using rpm with one of its many options to generate a list of
installed packages would be nice, so you know what to apt-get when you're
done installing.

Bertram
--
Bertram Bourdrez (bertram at vliestroom dot demon dot nl) -- ICQ# 32236129