Re: "Upgrading" redhat

* On Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:33:09 +0000, Giles Constant wrote:
> Hullo,
>
> Has anyone here been sadistic enough to try putting apt (for debs) on a
> redhat box and "upgrading" it? :-)
>
> just interested to see if it would work or not..!

Just after Potato came out I remember someone setup a webpage detailing
how to upgrade a RedHat system directly to potato.  IIRC it required
changing /etc/passwd and /etc/groups manually, compiling dpkg from
source, then installing enough debs to get apt, and finally using apt to
upgrade the system.  I don't know the URL though.

- Tal

--
Tal Danzig        |     Libranet GNU/Linux
tal@libranet.com  |  http://www.libranet.com

GPG Fingerprint: 8BE6 B973 BC1C 0CA0 CEE5  4874 C741 0BD5 B3A2 5512
Public key available from wwwkeys.pgp.net