Re: 2 problems with installation regarding network config and boot loaders

esoR ocsirF writes:
 > Greetings all,
 >
 > First, I am not currently subscribed, so send me an email if you want to
 > ask questions.
 >
 > I just tried an install based on a CD image found here
 > ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/woody/
 >
 > I would like to say that the overall feel seems to be improving, keep up
 > the great work.
 >
 > There are some problems though, number one;
 > I currently live at the end of  an ADSL connection, this requires pppoe.
 > However the install does not provide an exit during the network config
 > phase which I can bypass the setup network option. This is because I
 > have an ether net card (actually 2) installed and the installation
 > process assumes that I should be able to use it.
 >
 > Proposed solution, either put pppoe in the base install or provide an
 > opt out in network configuration.

The pppoe package is already part of the base install,

    166 jeff ~ $ debootstrap --print-debs woody . | tr -s ' ' '\n' | grep ppp
    ppp
    pppconfig
    pppoe

You just have to do some manual configuration, obviously, this
needs some improvement, but if you just look at the config file,
ie, /etc/ppp/peers/dsk-provider, is seems pretty easy to figure
out.  Also, the documentation provided in /usr/share/doc/pppoe
seem to be quite complete.

This is kind of similar to setserial, I have to manually do,

    setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10

from a shell immediately after rebooting.

 > Secondly, I have multiple versions installed on multiple partitions and
 > GRUB is my friend. There does not appear to be an option (I believe
 > there used to be) where I can say "I already have a boot loader" and "
 > no I don't want to install one".

If you carefully read the options presented to you, its is very
easy to not install any bootloader.

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>