Re: network problems after new install

--- Josef Dalcolmo <dalcolmo@vh-s.de> wrote:
> Suggestions: please put a readme file into any new
> created home directory,
> with the pointers to how to reconfigure anything the that
> was supposed to get
> configured during installation. It took me two evenings
> to figure out the
> "dpkg-reconfigure netbase" trick.

This kind of situation is probably familiar to most
Debian users. But is yet another ephemeral readme
file the answer?
What we need is a tool that can search all the available
on-line documentation. Smarter than "man -k", which
anyway only searches man pages. An interface a bit
like Micros**t's Help, which is a tabbed dialog
offering 3 views of the documentation: a contents
view, an index view, and a "find" (smart search) view.
And like "man -k" it would be mostly useful for
finding out about commands/packages you didn't
know existed.

Apologies for being off-topic for this list group
but I think this is a really important hole that
needs to be filled.

Nick