Re: problems in upgrade

On 21 Jun 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Note the actual error above.  I'll repeat it for those who skipped by:
>
>   perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by /lib/libdb.so.3)

I experienced this some weeks ago, and I'm glad to see a typescript of it.
Possible causes of this are:

* A missing Depends.
* A normal Depends which should be a versioned Depends.
* A Depends which should really be a Pre-Depends.
* A bug in dpkg or apt which makes it not to satisfy pre-dependencies
at all times.

> [...]
> To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
>  ?]

Jason recently closed a bug I submitted against apt because of this
message. In the old days, dselect methods never removed essential
packages.

I still think that this feature is *harmful*: If a user has ever to
remove an essential package, it is a clear sign that the upgrade path
is really messed up. In such case, we might better consider it as a
grave bug in one or more packages because of its dependencies,
pre-dependencies and other relationships than hide it under an
"user-friendly interface" as if removing an essential package were
something "normal" that you "sometimes" have to do.