Re: problems in upgrade

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Mike Renfro wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 08:28:47AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> > 5) Perl upgrade blows chunks.  Here's what I did (note that this
> >    whopping lose happened first, before the items above):
> >
> > a) Repoint servers.list to woody
> > b) apt-get update
> > c) apt-get upgrade
>
> We tend to use apt-get dist-upgrade to go from one release to another,
> and apt-get upgrade to upgrade within a single release. Differences
> are listed in the manpage for apt-get, but it might have gotten you
> better results.

No, I used dist-upgrade, and I saw the same errors.  Unfortunately, I did
*not* keep records at all. I do remember that after getting the errors he
describes (GLIBC_2.2 not found, etc.) I found that most things worked
except for Perl, and that Perl was needed to run some install/configure
scripts or other.  I found that commenting out a line in (I believe)
/etc/apt/apt.conf prevented apt running those scripts.  After commenting
out that line and continuing with apt-get, I ended up with a working
installation and no further problems.

Apologies if the lack of detail makes this not very useful....
---Bruce Fields