Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
>On 15 Jun 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> There is no base tarball anymore.  The functionality has been
>> superceeded by debootstrap (the package).
>>
>> FYI, what debootstrap does is simply download (or get from CD) the
>> packages in base at runtime.  Essentially, it replaces the
>> bootdisks.sh script in boot-floppies -- we used to build the base
>> system at boot-floppies build time.
>
>I just looked in dists/woody/main/binary-i386/base, and there are not
>enough packages there for a base system. (missing libc among other
>important base packages)

Those are in the pool now; you'll need to look in Packages.gz to find
their filenames, but generally pool/main/f/foo/foo_*_i386.deb ...

debootstrap is really easy to use, though, for those testing it outside
the environment of the boot-floppies:

  # debootstrap woody /chroot/woody http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian