Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On 15 Jun 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > I've been downloading these files for a test session, and I can't find the
> > base tarball. Where can I find this file? It is normally in the images
> > directories, but I can't find it.
>
> There is no base tarball anymore.  The functionality has been
> superceeded by debootstrap (the package).
>
> FYI, what debootstrap does is simply download (or get from CD) the
> packages in base at runtime.  Essentially, it replaces the
> bootdisks.sh script in boot-floppies -- we used to build the base
> system at boot-floppies build time.

I just looked in dists/woody/main/binary-i386/base, and there are not
enough packages there for a base system. (missing libc among other
important base packages)

This can't possibly be correct!

Where do I find a complete set, and how do I set them up?

This may be better, but it sure isn't easier ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-