Re: Exim -> Sendmail -> Exim

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:42:08PM -0700, Rob Hudson wrote:

> When I typed: apt-get remove sendmail, it wanted to also remove the
> following: at lilo logrotate mailx mutt sendmail
>
> Why would removing sendmail want to take all of that with it?

apt-cache show at | grep Depends: , for example. It should depend on
mail-transport-agent, or possibly (but not likely) sendmail
itself. Assuming the packager is competent, each of those packages
would be broken if there was no way for them to send mail.

So, if you want to:

1) Remove sendmail, which provides mail-transport-agent, and

2) Don't offer an alternative MTA

those packages would be removed to prevent you from having a broken
system.

> I ended up just running: apt-get install exim and that removed
> sendmail only and set up exim again for me.

In that case, exim conflicts with sendmail, and also provides
mail-transport-agent. Condition 1 above remains the same, but
condition 2 has changed. Since there will be no time when you'll be
missing an MTA, all those other packages stay.

Followups to debian-user, I suppose. Nothing to see here.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu