Re: Gnome totally broke

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:28:09AM +1000, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:27:47PM -0500, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> > I have experienced roughly the same things.
> Same here - should it be recommended that users first upgrade to woody, and
> then to sid/unstable?

I'd go so far as to say it's not clear that it should be recommended
that people upgrade to woody or sid at all, even.

But this is the -testing group, after all, so if anyone can make that
recommendation it's you guys.

It'd be nice if such recommendations were based on facts rather than
general feelings, and make them sensible qualified statements rather
than sensationalist headlines. But you take what you get.

> > Complete failure. As a new user to Debian I can't say who's at fault
> > where. I am still learning apt-get, dselect and dpkg.
> Not a complete failure, just annoying. Things I noticed:

One of the things that'd be *really* helpful is logs of the upgrades. If
you're using apt-get at the commandline, then it's trivially easy to
get good logs: just run "script" first. This is probably good enough
for people using dselect too, although the result'll be a bit harder to
interpret. Dunno any good way of logging what's going on with the apt
frontends, or whatever else is out there.

> 2) debconf didn't get upgraded at all for some reason, which left really
> annoying error messages about DESTROYing things. Could the priority of this
> package be upped a little?

It's already been upped to important, which is almost as high as it can
possibly go...

> All in all it was a tad embarrassing for me, as I was wearing my sysadmin/DD
> hat and doing an install for a coworker. "Oh, this won't be any trouble", I
> said, "it'll only take 10 minutes." Nearly three quarters of an hour later I
> was able to say "there, that might work...". Hardly ideal.

*snort* I usually budget at least a couple of hours for installs/upgrades
I expect to go without any problems, and expect calls the next couple
of days about random problems. I guess I must either be incompetent or
a pessimist...

Anyway, if people want to start doing proper upgrade reports (like with
logs, and detailed problem reports, and filing bug reports that can
actually get fixed and such), now's probably not such a bad time to
get started...

Cheers,
aj