Re: Testing begins 2 May 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > About LinuxISO: we on -cd haven't heard about that?!
> >
> > Let me stress something that's told in every business course:
> >
> >         "COMMUNICATION is the keyword in any organization!"
>
> Check the debian-email archives, it's quite documented in there. I was not
> aware that I had to post to debian-cd an agreement that I made with a
> possible ISO distributor, especially when it isn't even done yet (and wont
> be for a few more weeks).

Please look at things from our/my point of view. On debian-cd we discuss
things related to CD image creation _and_ distribution (both electronically
and physically). Here are the people who maintain mirror lists and webpages
(namely Yours Truly) and do a lot of CD-related PR.

The current way of mirroring is far too fragmented -- some time ago I had the
bright idea of checking ftpsearch.lycos.com, and it showed ~15(!!) mirrors I
hadn't heard of before, and that no-one actually was using because they
weren't mentioned in our lists. And I didn't know of LinuxISO until a few days
ago when it was posted on Slashdot. It's in the lists since that very day...

> Before making a huge fuss, make sure you know the facts.

But then how can I know facts if nobody tells me? I obviously can't keep up
with each and every mailing list, hoping to see messages about CD image
mirrors. That's (I think) one of the reasons why special-interest lists were
created...

Let me say it this way: please tell me/us things! Our users need us to know
things, and you can never tell too much. Even agreements on possible future
happenings -- so we can make sure things go as efficiently as possible.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer