Re: installation ~problem 1: modprobe messages

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> (Is debian-testing@lists.debian.org the right place to report
> little problems like this, or should I submit a bug for
> boot-floppies?)

I have CC'd your message to the boot-floppies team.

> Trying to install the current draft version of potato, using
> boot-floppies version 2.2.16-2000-07-14, I encountered the
> following:
>
> Right before the first dialog of the installation program comes
> up, a large number of modprobe message flash by on the screen.
> That said, approximately (hey, they flashed by too quickly to
> read clearly):
>    ... modprobe: can't open dependency file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep

I have seen this along with:

VM: do_try_to_fee_page failed for modconf

> I also noticed this message (twice) on the fourth virtual console
> (I had booted with "linux verbose debug"):
>
>    kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
>
> Is this normal (or at least known) behavior?

Well I wouldn't call it normal, although I have seen some of this before.

First, how much memory do you have?

Second, how did you install the drivers?

In the past I have had some trouble getting the drivers.tar.gz file to
install. I get failure messages and no drivers. Check to see that the
drivers are actually installed on your system.

Luck,

Dwarf