installation problem 3: missing package configuration dependencies

Trying to install the current draft version of potato, using
boot-floppies version 2.2.16-2000-07-14, I encountered the
following:

During the "Setting up..." phase of package installation, several
packages reported that they "could not open file
'/usr/lib/mime/packages/mime-support-compat'".

While dselect/apt/dpkg was proceeding with configuring packages,
I went to another virtual console and checked the file
/usr/lib/mime/packages/mime-support-compat.  It was a link to
/var/lib/mime/mime-support-compat.  That file did not exist, but
/var/lib/mime/mime-support-compat.dpkg-new did.

When installation was done,
/var/lib/mime/mime-support-compat.dpkg-new was gone and
/var/lib/mime/mime-support-compat existed again.

It appears that some packages depend on mime-support-compat and
its being installed before those those packages are installed,
but the system does not finish installing mime-support-compat
before installing those packages.

I noticed five such packages in the default (already selected in
dselect) set of packages: tetex-bin, groff, less, lpr, lynx.

I encountered this doing a very basic system installation.

When I booted from the newly-installed system, when I got to
the simple-vs.-advanced package selection option, I chose
advanced.  When I got into package selection in dselect I
changed nothing.

When I got into the Install Packages step of dselect, the errors
appeared.

I have more-detailed notes of my installation steps if anyone
needs them for tracking this down.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay