Installing potato from scratch with floppies

Hi!

I had an old machine with slink but decided not to upgrade since it required
downloading of 72 Mb (lots of uneeded software installed). Instead, I
decided
to make a clean install. I've downloaded the rescue/root/drivers floppies
and
went on with it.

It went fine until I had to configure the ethernet card (a plain NE2000
compatible).

Although I knew well the parameters (io=0x300) it refused to install.
Apparently
it tried to "insmod" from /lib/modules and it always failed.

When I tried to "insmod" by hand it worked. All I had to do was:
- cd /target/lib/modules
- insmod ne.o io=0x300

I also had to manually add the line ne io=0x300 to /etc/modules

Then I went on with the instalation with dbootstrap, downloading the base
system from the Internet via a proxy.

Later I rebooted the machine and when booting it said something about
not being able to create a "ksym..." file on /var/log, witch is a message
I know from other instalations but seems harmless.

It also keeps saying that /etc/modules.conf is newer than
/lib/modules/2.2.15/modules.dep but it works.

Then I selected the "Advanced method" in package selection and discovered
that the packages download (default+hylafax) has more than 60 Mb to go!
Can't it be done for less? ;-)

I'm now downloading the 62 Mb of packages but I think you would like
to known these problems as soon as possible.

See you,

Fernando