Re: slink -> potato upgrade: FAILED

On 4 Jul 2000, J. Carlos Romero wrote:

> I have a slink distribution with some packages upgraded to potato. I do
>
> nexus:~# apt-get update
> nexus:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kbd-data lesstifg libpam0g-util netstd ppp-pam
> <snip>
>
> 254 packages upgraded, 56 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/129MB of archives. After unpacking 66.4MB will be used.
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package libpam0g due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam0g

To solve this problem, what I have done was first to install the NEW
version of libpam0g, THEN upgrade the rest of the system:

- apt-get update
- apt-get install libpam0g (installs also libpam-runtime & removes
libpa0g-util)
- apt-get dist-upgrade.

I have done this on both i386 and sun architectures, and it has worked
fine on both.

Hope this helps
Sabino

      | Windows NT has detected that there were no errors |
      | for the past 10 minutes. The system will now try  |
      | to restart or crash. Click the OK button to       |
      | continue.                                         |

Sabino Maggi                     !  tel: (+39) 011-3919-449 *NEW*
IEN "G. Ferraris"                !  fax: (+39) 011-3463-84
Strada delle Cacce, 91           !  e-mail: maggi@ien.it
I-10135 Torino, Italy            !