Re: 2.2.16? [INSTALL REPORT]

Randolph Chung wrote:
> i was unable to pin this down, but it is indeed quite harmless if a bit
> annoying to the end user. This happens BEFORE init is run. I think Matt's
> explanation of unix.o is close (you do not get this message if you are using
> the idepci/compact flavors, which have unix.o built in). However, as this
> happens before init is run it probably doesn't have anything to do with
> syslog.

Hm. So I wonder if it can be worked around by shipping an empty
modules.dep on the root disk?

root@kite:/home/joey/tmp>rm /lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
root@kite:/home/joey/tmp>modprobe unix.o
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)
root@kite:/home/joey/tmp>touch /lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
root@kite:/home/joey/tmp>modprobe unix.o
modprobe: Can't locate module unix.o

Perhaps throwing in such a file, at least for testing, will cause
modprobe to tell us what module it's trying to load before even init
runs (very weird behavior, if you ask me).

> So I'd say 2.2.16 for i386 is definitely ready for upload, and probably
> ready for potato release.

Sweet.

--
see shy jo