Re: potato/kernel-2.2.x NIC module problem

> I have an old 486-box with an SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16T NIC in it.
> This card is detected as WD/8013W by various single-floppy Linuces, and
> works fine.
  [clip]
> Decided to grab the June 7 rescue, root, and
> driver floppies and do a clean install.
>
> Won't detect my NIC. Can't finish the install ('cause I'm gonna finish
> it over the net). This is kernel-2.2.15.
>
> So, back to slink. NIC is fine. Upgrade to potato. NIC is fine (but with
> kernel-2.0.36). Install kernel-image-2.2.17. Fine. Reboot. NIC is no
> longer detected.

Hmm.  Any error messages?  Did you try modprobing the wd module by hand?
Any messages?

> Gets worse.
>
> Reboot with the boot floppy I created after the slink->potato upgrade
> (with kernel-2.0.36). Now this one doesn't detect the NIC.

Do you still have /lib/modules/2.0.36 on the hard disk after the kernel
upgrade?

I always roll my own kernels, so I don't have much experience with the
stock debian kernel images and what get's saved/kept after an upgrade.

Eric