[Install Report] Potato install for DSL router + show off box

 I just ran a full install to a p133 16Mb 1.5Gb with two PCI NIC's.
 It was _almost_ flawless. ;-)

 In `dbootstrap', when "configure the network" popped up the dialog
 asking which NIC to configure, I chose eth0, which happened to be the
 wrong one - it was not connected to anything, the other one was the
 one I needed to set up.  I didn't know that yet though...  I set the
 hostname, a static IP (my workstation masquerades for my apartment
 LAN - it acts as the ISP for the one I just installed on) on my
 intranet, etc.

 At "install base", I chose `netfetch', and pointed it at my
 "www.intra" server, where I have a Debian mirror set up.  After
 pushing Ok on the host/proxy/port selection dialog, that dialog pops
 down, and `dbootstrap' is doing... <something> ... and I'm left
 staring at a blue screen wondering if it's going to work...
 I happened to know that it would eventually time out, but, our
 infamous newbie who will dis Debian if it's not flashy and simple
 won't have a clue as to what's wrong, and may have power cycled it
 then.

 It timed out, and messageboxed about a failed DNS lookup.  "Oh!",
 I went, "Ok, I must have tried to configure the wrong NIC."

 ** Instead of that blue screen, there should be a pleasewait telling
    me something about what's going on behind the schenes.

 ** Esc and/or C-c and/or C-Break ought to escape from that back to
    some apropriate continuation point.  (There are a lot of places
    like this in `dboostrap', I think...  It will be done for Woody,
    perhaps.)

 After going through "configure the network" agian, this time actually
 testing with a `ping' from vt2...  ** perhaps `dbootstrap' ought to
 ping the gateway or www.debian.org or something to see if the
 connection is really up prior to trying a DNS lookup???  Ping the
 nameserver?  any bright ideas out there?

 It pulled down base fine, and everything just works through the
 reboot.  I'm configuring Apt, and while it's getting the sources
 lists from one site, it hangs... just sitting there.  No network
 traffic shows up in the gkrellm on my workstation... (aka the "ISP"
 proxy router) So, after a while I pushed C-c.  Hey!  Great!  It
 worked.  It broke out...  but `base-config' restarted from the top,
 rather than putting me back in "configure apt" like I'd expect.  (I
 guess it threw too far. Hmmm.... can it fork there or do stuff inside
 an anon function, and do the eval \& thing, to emulate catch/throw?
 Dunno...)

 I ran through it again, and this time it worked, with no hang getting
 the sources lists.  I guess the first time something screwed up in
 the connection or something?  I've had `apt-get update' not work in
 `gnome-terminal' sessions -- it just sits there, no network traffic
 or anything, so I C-c it, then I type `reset', re-run the `apt-get'
 command, and it works fine.  Could it have been the same phenomenon?
 Like it's blocking on terminal output?  You tell me and we'll both
 know.

 I chose "simple" in `tasksel', then checked nothing and pressed
 "Finish", then N when apt prompted... and was left at the login
 prompt as expected.

 I logged in, NFS mounted my server machine, and copied over a
 "dpkg-selections" file with the setup I want installed...  I'm
 cloning the installed set from another box.  I ran `dpkg
 --set-selections < dpkg-selections', then fired off `apt-get
 dselect-upgrade'.  It took a *long* time because it's a slower
 computer with little RAM and I have a large package list there...
 Dpkg indeed moves like a very pregnant yak.  I think it spends way
 too much time reading *.list files and stuff, or something.  Our
 infamous neophyte will undoubtedly bitch about that and hype on (nose
 pinched) about how fast rpm this and rpm that, leaning on a Dead Rat
 CD like a size ten year old proudly leaning on a new car daddy
 bought...

 ... well, anyway, eventually, it completed, with out a single error,
 *except* I realized after pressing Y to "set up xserver now" that it
 was going to run, not `anXious', but ye olde xf86config, and pushed
 C-c... and had to run `dpkg --configure --pending' one time.

 It's installed.  It's a _kit_.

 If I type `startx' what will happen?  I'll run `anXious' now, and if
 it shatters the monitor, I'll have glass in my lap.

 Gnight.