Re: The X / mouse touble

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:33:25AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> 0. Quick fix: just default Retype_Type to none in gpmconfig (this should be
> done at least for potato. Should I file a bug report?).

That's up to Mercury.

> 1. Tell the user during gpmconfig, that the selection affects X configuration.
> I was happy that a PS/2 mouse was suggested, tested it and continued without
> thinking about it.

If Merc will do 1), I will do 2).

We sat down at LWCE-NY and tried to discuss this, but it's not an easy
issue.

Frankly, I think gpm ought to be re-written from scratch, stealing the
protocol interpretation code from XFree86.  People are pretty good about
getting support for all their crazy mouse variants in X.

> 2. Tell the user during xf86config, that the gpm configuration can be reused
> (assuming that gpmconfig has the reuse default, i.e. Branden and Zephaniah
> should decide which way can be gone for potato and woody).

I will add remarks to xf86config warning the user about this.

> 3. As a long term solution, a protocol name like Xnative instead of Microsoft
> would be nice.

I think Merc had some evil plan for implementing a superset mouse protcol
into which any other protocol could be translated.  When he gets further
along on this, I can maybe work with XFree86 upstream on the issue.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    America is at that awkward stage.  It's
Debian GNU/Linux               |    too late to work within the system, but