Installation idiot test 2000 #3

I burnt a three CD set (main & contrib) making certain that base-config
was on the first disc.  I only have three CD-RWs.

I did I 2-300 MB install using dselect and it went well.  2 - 3 runs to
get everything in.

When I used "tasks" the system fell over.  On looking at boot-floppies I
see that "tasks" is not yet complete.

Comments.

1.  I had to scan each of the three binary CDs.  Is this intended or is it
connected with bug 57949?  If it is intended then it needs to be made
clear that all binary discs need to be scanned.

2.  As it stands the network expects to be configured and tries to pull
the person installing back to this function.  This would be very
disconcerting to a newbie without a network card.

3.  The instructions given can be confusing at times.  The worst example
being in the second apt configuration screen where "cancel" (assumed by
most people to be "abort") is used where "continue" or "next" is meant.
pppconfig gives excellent instructions and could well be a model.  It would
be helpful to the newbie if instructions could be given on every screen.

4.  I had to shuffle discs in and out of the CDROM during the install,
twice I was asked to insert the CD that was already loaded.  I am assuming
that this problem is caused by tasks not yet being finalised and so
debian-cd is not putting the required packages on the first CD.

5.  When installing lp, it failed.  parport_probe succeeded.  What are
these?  How would a newbie know what to modules to install?

I had put my newbie hat on and was following `Installing Debian GNU/Linux
..' which I found useful, although understandably it faded considerably
towards the end.  It couldn't describe an install process that hadn't been
finalized.

imho potato is shaping up to be the best release yet.  My first successful
install was Rex (1.2), I had failed with Buzz.  I think it wise that
Debian sticks with a text-based install as this is far easier to make
bullet-proof.  However, in today's GUI age instructions have to be much
clearer.  I have had considerable trouble with customers with problems
with installs of Mandrake and Red Hat.  I suspect that so much effort has
gone into the GUI that the fall-back text install is not as good as it
should be.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818