Re: Regarding Debuging Rescue Kernel Hangs with AHA-2940

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Max Bell wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a nice dual-P2 box with a AHA-2940 that I'd like to run Debian
>> on.  Unfortunately, it hangs due to said card and the "aic7xxx=no_probe"
>> option does nothing to fix it.  I have verified that the AHA-2940 is the
>> issue by removing cards -- take out the AHA-2940 and it boots fine.
>> I would be happy to test any new kernels related to fixing this problem.
>> FWIW, I'd suspect the DC930 driver is the problem -- booting proceeds PAST
>> the AHA-2940 initialization just fine, and past another scsi driver after
>> that.  It hangs immedately after "DC930: no adapters found".  Anyway,
>> hope someone has this fixed, as I'd hate to have to go to Red Hat.  :-/
>
>Have you tried both the compact and normal boot floppies?

The problem turns out to be (obscurely) documented in
http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/#errata.  The stock rescue disks will
not work with AHA-2940s due to conflicts with the other compiled in SCSI
drivers, and a special "only-aic7xxx" rescue image is required to boot.  It
would be nice if the documentation of this requirement was moved from #errata
into the "current" install document, and the aic7xxx-only rescue image copied
from its present (comparatively obscure) location of ftp://kalle.csb.ki.se/pub/
to ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/ with
the rest of the rescue images.  As it is, I would never have found the
documentation of the problem nor the rescue image if some kind souls
had not pointed me to them.  Had the "only-aic7xxx" rescue image been present
in the canonical location, I would have deduced the proper solution immedately.
Anyway, thanks for the response, and extra thanks to Mr. Norris, Mr. Hammar,
and anyone else involved in providing the special aic7xxx rescue images.
Another Debian box is on its way to service.

Max