net-fetch (was Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.2.4 (source all) to master)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 09:51:00PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bmitch@surfree.com> writes:
>
> >    What can the testing group do that would be the most beneficial to the
> > boot floppy group at this time?  Should we be testing that the kernel
> > boots and detects hardware, or that the base system works properly under a
> > chroot environment, or is it time to start doing complete installations?
> > I assume any problems should be reported through the BTS.
>
> Complete installations.  Especially the new 'net-fetch' installation
> technique.  Ignore the 'network' installation technique, that
> shouldn't be in there I think.

  Only use net-fetch to install the base system.  It is able to install the
  operating system (kernel) and modules as well, but the default kernel has
  no ethernet drivers - so you have to install those from the driver disks.

  Net-fetch hasn't been tested in practice, so I am quite curious whether it
  works or not.

  The net-fetch messages to the user aren't in place yet, suggestions are
  welcome.  It now prints 'put some helpful text in here' messages and such.

  Cheers,

         Marcel

  Please send a Cc to me when replying to me on this mailinglist.