Re: diskles-image-*

    Adam> Well, you can work with us (debian-boot) and we can try to
    Adam> make sure that base2_2.tgz is what you need...

Thanks. Should we discuss this via debian-boot@lists.debian.org
(or whatever it is called)? Feel free to copy this message
as required.

    >> In designing my postinst script, I had to do all tasks that are
    >> required in order to make the NFS-image bootable, that aren't
    >> done by the image itself.
    >>
    >> For slink, this was (simplified, comments removed):
    >>
    >> if [ -f /sbin/unconfigured.sh ]; then
    >> /var/lib/dpkg/info/timezones.postinst configure #create
    >> /etc/init.d/network file that configures localhost chmod 755
    >> /etc/init.d/network chmod go+w /tmp /var/tmp cd /dev;
    >> /dev/MAKEDEV generic rm /sbin/unconfigured.sh fi

For now, I might just remove the call to

/var/lib/dpkg/info/timezones.postinst

at least that should mean I can upload a "working" version of diskless
to master. I think this was the only real problem with this script.

    Adam> Hmm... These are pretty much all things which are currently
    Adam> handled by dbootstrap.  I think we should make an effort so
    Adam> that base2_2.tgz, even w/o dbootstrap's "configure base
    Adam> system" option, is in some sort of reasonable state.  Should
    Adam> we provide defaults for all of the above?  Would you be
    Adam> willing to patch against our CVS's basefile.sh and get it
    Adam> done that way?

Either some reasonable defaults and/or a script that will prompt
the user for the required information (as required, eg for
selecting the timezone - I am not sure if this is still an issue
for potato).

    Adam> Well, the question is how *should* it be, and how best to
    Adam> make it so.

Agreed.

    >> The base2_2.tgz file should be easy to fix, I am not sure what
    >> the significance of the numbers mean, but I can just check for
    >> any files that match base*.tgz (for instance).

    Adam> The numbers represent the major and minor Debian release
    Adam> numbers.  Slink was 2.1, hamm was 2.0, potato is 2.2.  Woody
    Adam> may be 2.3 or 3.0.

Ok. Wonder why I didn't realize that before...

    >> The only real solution I can think of is to have a file on the
    >> base2_2.tgz that does configuration automatically.  So then my
    >> script would look like:
    >>
    >> if [ -f /sbin/configure-image ]; then /sbin/configure-image rm
    >> /sbin/configure-image endif
    >>
    >> Which would mean that all the messy, version specific code, is
    >> where it belongs, within the base image. The same script, could
    >> be used when installing from the boot disk, too. However, this
    >> affects packages outside my own, so I thought I should post
    >> here to get the opinion of other developers.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? What should I do?

    Adam> I think you're right that this would be the best thing to
    Adam> do.  That just means that someone should take the
    Adam> configuration stuff, and port it *out* of dbootstrap, and
    Adam> into something else (either C code using newt like the new
    Adam> tasksel, or else debconf-tiny compatible stuff --
    Adam> debconf-tiny is probably going to be pushed into base).

debconf-tiny sounds like it might be the best approach. More
standard. I have no idea though what debconf-tiny is, or how to
program debconf even - these are issues I am going to find out soon.

It has been a while since I looked at this configuration stuff.
Wondering aloud: Are there any parts that are not appropriate for
NFS-Root systems? Probably the network configuration is redundant (the
NFS-Root kernel automatically detects this at startup). The loopback
(ie localhost) device must be configured though.  I can't think of
anything else. Not sure about module support - that might not be such
a good idea, as it is run on the wrong computer. Maybe whatever script
does this should support some option to disable parts that aren't
required.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>