Re: ps reports Error: /proc must be mounted and also Segmentation fault?

> On Fri Nov 26, 1999 at 07:07:27AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> >
> > I am using http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/19991118/bf-common.tar.gz.
> > untarred them into the common dir.
> [--------snip---------]
> >
> > Also note there are differences between your output and mine:
> > 1) Your ps output gives a header line.
> > 2) Without /proc my mount simply exit. No message like the one you are getting.
> > 3) I am not getting the processes you get after /proc is mounted. Can it be
> > that
> > I do not simulate an installation session correctly ?
> >
> > And where is ash?
> > [07:04:27 common]$ ls bin/a*
> > bin/ae  bin/arch
> > [07:04:58 common]$
>
> Hmm. I just used the root1440.bin disk and mounted it up. Not wanting
> to D/L the 20M file, could you check if the root1440.bin disk image
> is included in bf-common.tar.gz (I assume it is) and if so could you
> repeat the steps I went through. I suspect that basetest/common/ may be
> including some very ancient leftovers.

root1440.bin is not included explicitly.
[09:19:30 bf]$ tar ztf bf-common.tar.gz
common/
common/base2_2.tgz
common/drivers.tgz

And the contents of common/base2_2.tgz is what seems to me a minimal debian
system: there is all the root directory tree with with programs in it. After
untaring it I got:
[09:23:26 common]$ ls
base2_2.tgz  boot   dev          etc     home    lib  proc  sbin  usr
bin          cdrom  drivers.tgz  floppy  initrd  mnt  root  tmp   var
[09:23:28 common]$ ls boot/
boot.b            chain.b            mbr.b    os2_d.b.preserved
boot.b.preserved  chain.b.preserved  os2_d.b
[09:23:52 common]$ ls bin
ae     dd             fgrep     ls       ping       setserial  true
arch   df             grep      mkdir    ping6      sh         umount
bash   dir            gunzip    mknod    ps         sleep      uname
cat    dmesg          gzip      mktemp   pwd        stty       uncompress
chgrp  dnsdomainname  hostname  more     rbash      su         vdir
chmod  echo           kill      mount    rm         sync       zcat
chown  egrep          ln        mv       rmdir      tar
cp     false          loadkeys  netstat  run-parts  tempfile
date   fdflush        login     pidof    sed        touch

and so on.

What is this bf-common.tar.gz anyway? Is it a file from which the boot disks
are created by dividing it into the required size?