NFS nolock and PCMCIA (was Re: Report: Laptop testinstall)

Nils Rennebarth <nils@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> - mounting takes a *long* time. This is *not* due to failing DNS reverse
> lookups on the server side but because it is not passed the nolock option
> and waits for a timeout of the local portmap. After ~3minutes the mount
> succeeds. Solution: Hack the "nolock" option into NFS mounts (didn't try to
> look at the code)

Good pointer.  We're actually looking to utterly replace mount/umount
with busybox equivalents, which I think is almost at the green light
stage, and saves lots of disk space.

> - the pcmcia cardmgr is not the one from the pcmcia-cs package.

This cannot be.. Must have been a bad build or something?

> Having an account on master, I could just check in a few changes with CVS.
> Is there any policy on how and when to commit changes?

My policy is the "honor system".  If the changes are not going to
break anything and you have high confidence, then go ahead and check
them in.  If in doubt, send patches to the debian-boot list.