Report: Laptop testinstall

I made a tesinstall from the 2.2.1 bootdisks on a laptop, no CD (had no
image handy) but by installing the drivers and getting base by NFS.

Apart from the already mentioned hickups that could be worked around by a
little hackery on the second terminal, I observed the following things:

- mounting takes a *long* time. This is *not* due to failing DNS reverse
lookups on the server side but because it is not passed the nolock option
and waits for a timeout of the local portmap. After ~3minutes the mount
succeeds. Solution: Hack the "nolock" option into NFS mounts (didn't try to
look at the code)

- the pcmcia cardmgr is not the one from the pcmcia-cs package. This is fine
as long as the PCMCIA slot is in FPIC mode. It miserably fails for Cardbus.
I had to put in my old harddisk, boot windows, switch to FPIC, change the
harddisk again and continue with the network. For my card this works fine, I
did however encounter a cheap network card recently that does not work but
in Cardbus mode. Solution???

Having an account on master, I could just check in a few changes with CVS.
Is there any policy on how and when to commit changes?

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source