Re: how do we test 'frozen' ?

> Hello everyone. I have been a debian user since mid-august, so this will be
> my first freeze cycle. I have read the email describing it a bit that was
> listed in the Debian Weekly News, but I am not sure what *I* as a user am
> supposed to do to help things go.

Just test stuff, report bugs, etc. etc.  Same as normal.

> Some specific questions -- what should I change my /etc/apt/sources.list to
> so that I make sure I have frozen only on my computer?

When the freeze actually hits, there will be a symbolic link made on the
servers.  Just as we have links for "stable" and "unstable" now, a new
link called "frozen" will appear.  If your sources.list file points
to "unstable" then change that to "frozen".  If it points to "potato" you
can just keep that as it is.  If it points to "stable" or "slink", well,
then you'll have to upgrade...

> Is there an easy way
> to see what I have installed on my system that does *not* come with frozen?
> (eg, new packages, other packages, locally installed things such as CUPS?)

If you do an apt-get update, then go into dselect, you should see all such
packages listed under the heading obsolete/local.

> I don't recall seeing an easy way to find all the bugs that I have submitted
> to BTS

Hmm, the only way I know of to do this is to go here:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/ix/full.html

And then just search for your name with your browser's search feature.  If
you have a fast pipe, that's easy, otherwise, the page may take a little
while to load...  It's almost 4MB.

Eric