Re: resc1440 i386 2.2.1-1999-10-22 failure on Compaq DeskPro XL 5133

sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu scripsit:
[...]
|No.  That's about as simple as they get.  You don't have any other IDE devices
|or something in there that the bios might be picking up?

Nothing at all, machine only has the HD and the floppy disk. The
on-board IDE is disabled and even the Compaq partition for the system
configuration tools is gone. MS-DOG used to boot but there again the
SCSI controller is probably designed to allow it... In the OS
selection (yes, Compaq BIOS on these boxes allows you to select an OS)
there is no Linux (surprise...) but which OS should I set it to run
with? At the moment I've guessed UNIXWare and except for the boot
everything runs fine.

|You could always keep a boot floppy in the drive to boot the thing.  I did
|that for a while on one of my systems which had a SCSI control without a boot
|bios chip.

Yes, it needs to run unattended so I'd have to leave the floppy in but
I guess it is a perfectly valid solution - awkward but it works...

|My first experiences with administering Unix-like boxes was with Nextstep
|on Intel hardware.  Now I only run Debian.  I don't miss Nextstep much.  The
|thing didn't scale worth a damn.

Well, they want to play and the machine won't suffer any damage!

Arrigo

P.S.	On a totally separate note (answer off the list please): does
	anyone know where I can find 2nd hand NeXT boxes in the UK? I
	would like one for my old computers collection... I remember
	someone importing a bunch of oldies from the US but I have
	totally lost the info about it.