Re: resc1440 i386 2.2.1-1999-10-22 failure on Compaq DeskPro XL 5133

> boot=/dev/sda
> root=/dev/sda1
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> image=/vmlinuz
> label=Linux
> read-only
>
> Not exactly what I would term "Earth Shattering" :-)

No.  That's about as simple as they get.  You don't have any other IDE devices
or something in there that the bios might be picking up?

> P.S.	It is a weird old box, if I can't run Linux on it it's fine,

You could always keep a boot floppy in the drive to boot the thing.  I did
that for a while on one of my systems which had a SCSI control without a boot
bios chip.

> I have someone dying to run the old NeXT OS on it!

My first experiences with administering Unix-like boxes was with Nextstep
on Intel hardware.  Now I only run Debian.  I don't miss Nextstep much.  The
thing didn't scale worth a damn.

Eric