Potato Boot Floppies + Pcmcia

I hope this wasn't brought up yet .. sorry in advance if it was!

Floppies Version: 2.2.1-1999-10-22

After configuring the PCMCIA drivers on my system (Dell Inspiron 7000), the
installer starts the cardmgr daemon and never kills it.. I installed the
base system over nfs, and when it came to ungzip'ing/untar'ing it, it
failed.  Upon further testing, the failure was due to attempting to
overwrite the cardmgr daemon... (I retested with the base system on a
separate partition, but after configuring pcmcia and networking, cardmgr is
started anyway..)

If I kill cardmgr right before installing the base system, all is fine..
otherwise the base install fails, and when the system reboots, its in an
unusable state.

So, would it be possible for the cardmgr daemon to be kill'd right after
downloading the base files (if installing via nfs/network) ?  Afterall, a
network is no longer needed after that ..

While we're on that topic .. something I mentioned before would be nice to
.. to have the ability to select DHCP as a network configuration in the
installer .. I had to assign a static ip address to my system to get the
base file over the network, but usually I use dhcp.  Then, perhaps, just
like when the system boots for the first time, it can detect whether dhcp is
in use or not, and ask the user to remove it (just like with the pcmcia
stuff .. if they're not used)..   There are cases when one cannot assign a
static ip address like I did (ie, when someone doesn't know what addresses
are available, if an entire subnet is dhcp'd...)

Thanks,
  Terry Katz