slink --> potato -- tetex-base broken

Hello. A friend installed slink using my 2.1r2 CDs purchased from cheapbytes
(ie, no non-free, no non-us) and we selected a fairly minimal install,
intending to upgrade to potato once he was on the network.

Well, we are having some troubles -- the configure script for tetex-base
hangs. Once we had to kill -9 the dpkg process to get it to stop, and
another two times ^C was able to kill it.

Unfortunatly, I am not good at dealing with dpkg, so I don't know how to get
apt and dpkg to not even deal with tetex until later -- putting tetex-* on
hold in dselect didn't fix it. :(

(We even got an error message suggesting we reinstall before trying to
remove the package..)

This is on a dual-Celeron computer -- but we haven't even tried to get the
two cpus to work at once; we were going to upgrade to potato and then
install kernel 2.2 before trying that.. :)

Thanks

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!