FW: Linux on Toshiba 105CS

Here are some comments on the current potato install from a co-worker of
mine.  He did an install on a Toshiba laptop.

I have already responded to him to assist with future installs (he's already
done two machines in our customer support group, plus one at home, one for
his GRANDMOTHER! (instead of a WebTV she had asked for) and now this
laptop).

I think that the way dpkg/dselect currently handles installs (if I
understand it correctly) may be a bit inefficient in terms of disk usage.  I
realize that time concerns may be paramount, but since it never deletes
archives as you install (until the ENTIRE set of packages has been
installed) you need more and more disk space as you install.  My workaround
with Aron was to do installs of smaller sets of packages when using a low
disk-space machine.  However, as he notes in his mail, this is not
compatible with our task/use oriented package lists.

At any rate, his experiences are not what the average user will see.
However, it might be worth thinking about laptop configurations such as
Arons during future work on dpkg.

Thanks,

-Brent