Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 08:47:06AM -0400, sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> > Nope. Device files can be present at the same time. OSS uses major 14 and
> > minors from 0 to 15 for the first soundcard. (16 to 31 for the
> > second).
> > Alsa devices are created on the fly. The Directory /dev/snd is a link to
> > /proc/asound/dev/ and contains the device files.
> > ALSA uses the same major but different minors (144 and above). Still
> > it can emulate OSS behavior by loading the module snd-pcm1-oss.
>
> This statement is not true.  OSS uses major number 14, while ALSA uses
> major 116.

Oops .. I'm sitting at a machine with Driver Version 0.2.0-pre10p1. Sorry!
Version 0.3.0-x uses 116.

> It used to be the case that ALSA and OSS both used 14, but ALSA moved to
> 116 in February of this year, I think.  I don't think you can use recent
> versions of ALSA without modifying the files in /dev.  ALSA aims to

How that ? ALSA doesn`t have any native device files in /dev. Just
the /dev/snd link to /proc/asound/dev/ so this problem is automaticaly
taken care of. At another machine I use a Driver Version 0.3.0-pre4.
And I don't remember having to change anything in /dev.

> provide an easy transition from OSS to ALSA, but this is only from the
> application point of view (OSS apps can run under ALSA) not the system
> administrator point of view.

Again, what exactly is the problem for the system administrator? For a
programmer there are big changes if he wants to use the native ALSA
interface but he can stick with the OSS compatible as well.

> Personally, I love ALSA.  I think it's great.  I use it.  *BUT* I don't
> think it's ready to replace OSS just yet.  It's a rapidly changing piece
> of software and is not, IMO, stable enough to become the primary sound
> driver set for the Linux community.

True. But it should be an option since it supports a lot of soundcards that
OSS/lite does not.

-heinrich

--
                    Heinrich Langos <heinrich@null.net>