Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

"EXT AVS; Heinrich Langos" wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 02:01:24PM +0200, Gunnar.Isaksson@saab.se wrote:
> >
> > I have such good experiences with the ALSA drivers that I suggest that you
> > don't bother at all with the OSS drivers and instead just use the OSS
> > compatibility option with the ALSA drivers.
> >

> In general I agree. But last time I tried (half a year ago) the alsa
> driver didnt work very well with my soundcard and quake. (Choppy sound
> and slowing the game down conciderably.) But this was the only
> application that I experienced problems with.

I started using ALSA in middle of februari and I had the same problem with
Quake II. This however disappeard by changing a sound option within the
game. (Trying to remember) I think it was something about best performance
or best sound quality. Anyhow there was an option in the game that fixed that
problem you also experienced.

The ALSA configurator script is so good in autodetecting the soundcard that
if Debian implements both OSS/Lite and ALSA, users will eventually end up
using the ALSA drivers. I have also noticed a better sound quality from the
ALSA drivers.

Gunnar