Slink Notes

I finally got around to doing an scratch install of enough of slink to
have a functional system, and here are things I've noticed.

1) missing module descriptions during install

As I mentioned in an earlier rant, some descriptions are missing. I've
saved all the correspondence re this issue from the list, and if time
permits will be doing what I can to help rectify the problem.

2) problem with isapnp, detects non-existent resource conflict

Output follows (no problem on hamm with same hardware):

Board 1 has Identity 69 e1 1c 6c c8 01 22 8b 11:  DLK2201 Serial No 3776736456 [checksum 69]
/etc/isapnp.conf:39 -- Warning - resource conflict allocating IRQ3
Calculating module dependencies... done.
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x240: 00 80 c8 6c 1c e1
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x240, using IRQ 3.

This is a D-Link ISA PNP board that works fine and installs with no
complaints under hamm. There is only a single serial port in the
machine, assigned to IRQ4, so I have no idea why ISAPNP thinks there is
a conflict.

$ cat /proc/interrupts
 0:      89088   timer
 1:       4900   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 3:          0   NE2000
 8:          2 + rtc
10:      12020 + BusLogic BT-930
12:          0   PS/2 Mouse
13:          1   math error
14:        124 + ide0
15:          0 + ide1

3) no exit from modconf when invoked from shell

After I got the base system installed and added the man pages so I could
figure out what to do with isapnp, I needed to run modconf to take care
of my NIC. It worked fine, but wouldn't let me exit (kept bringing me
back to the exit screen). I had to open another VC and kill it.

Note: just for tickles (because of the comments on the list about adding
man pages to the base install), I did 'apt-get install man-db' first
thing to see what apt would bring in. 'groff' and 'man-db' are the two
packages, and they won't fit on a 1.44MB floppy. They don't miss by
much, though, so it's possible that man could be added at the cost of
one additional floppy in the base set.

4) linuxlogo is a little too articulate when it comes to displaying my
   CPU type:

One AMD AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions Processor, 32M RAM

This wraps and makes a mess of my nice penguin.  :-(

It also doesn't appear that linux_logo obeys all the listed options when
it's invoked from the prompt. I don't know if this is a debian issue or
an upstream issue. I'll probably eventually chase this as I'm a big fan
of this silly little program and I want a perfect penguin on my TV.

5) When I installed the kernel-source-2.0.36 package I found the source
   tarball in /usr/src. Everything else was fine
   (/usr/doc/kernel-source..., etc.).

I unraveled the tarball and linked /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36 and went on my merry way with make-kpkg,
but I'm sure I haven't had to do this in the past.

Bug, or feature?

6) There may be a problem with APM and the system and hardware clocks,
   or it may be a configuration problem.

I haven't had time to chase this one at all, but I left my new slink
system running all day yesterday while I dealt with things in the real
world, and when I returned and found it sleeping, I woke it with a
keystroke. Both the system clock and hardware clock reflected the time
it went to sleep, not the time it awoke.

And that's all, folks.
--
                     What's All the Buzz About Linux?

                     http://www.ourmanpann.com/linux/