dselect/dpkg

ok.  I posted a more detailed explanation of what happened, but got no
useful answer.  Here's the question with no background on how it happened
and what I think doesn't work:  How do I "rebuild" dselect/dpkg's idea of
what is installed i.e what file holds the "installed, not installed,
dselected, etc." flags against the whole "available" database?  Apt-get
and "dselect/apt method" have a serious gap in thier ability keep this
straight.  If nothing else (actually I would like this best) is there a
way to get dpkg to parse the p{ost, re}inst scripts to rebuild it's idea
of what is actually installed on the system?

On a more positive note - as a five year linux user (slack convert) I love
debian (slink/2.1.132) and appreciate all the work you are doing on this
comprehensive, thoughtful distribution...Keep up the good work!