Matthew Swift: help needed for quick test of xdvi on a std Debian stable/frozen system

> I'm trying to resolve a strange xdvi bug with the maintainer of
> xdvik, and we'd like to see if we can reproduce this bug on another
> Debian stable and/or recent frozen system.

This problem with "fuzzy looking" fonts has been resolved now.  Recent
versions of xdvi tweak a bug in the XF86_S3V X server for S3/VIRGE
video cards.  The solution is to move to the XF86_SVGA server, which
is eventually going to replace the s3v one anyway.  This has been
reported to xfree86, the author of xdvi, and authors of teTeX and
TeXLive, and is now in the xdvi FAQ.