Report of slink installation with 2.1.4 disks

No problems this time. My Finnish keyboard works and the problems
with PCMCIA after the first boot are gone. Great work Enrique and
others!

CONFIGURATION:
  machine:    Abit BH6 mother board, Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz
  memory:     128MB SDRAM
  disk:       IBM Deskstar 8GB
  partitions: hda1 3GB fat32
              hda2 2GB Linux root
              hda3 1GV Extented
              hda4 2GB Reserved for *BSD
              hda5 128MB Linux swap
              hda6 890MB Linux native
  scsi:       none
  sound:      none
  video card: Matrox Millennium G200 (8MB)
  cd-rom:     Mitsumi 32x (IDE/ATAPI)
  net card:   3Com 905b

TESTING TARGET:
  task:       Base system installation (slink)
  source:     boot-floppies 2.1.4

PREPARATION:
  Used dd to create rescue and drivers floppies. Prepared NFS server on
  another machine to export directory containing base2_1.tgz and other
  boot related files (rescue, drivers, etc.). The machine running NFS
  server has also complete mirror of slink and hamm and was later used
  to install the rest of the packages with dselect/apt over HTTP.

PROCESS:
  This time I had all the partition ready from the previous test, so
  the installation was just a matter of pressing Enter. No problems
  with the base installation.

  The only complaint remaining is the DNS server order, maybe 2.1.5
  disks will have "Other system" as the default.

  After the first reboot I skipped the "pre-rolled software
  configurations"[1] and went straight to the dselect. In
  dselect I set up atp to use http like this:
    deb http://myserver/debian/debian-non-US frozen non-US
    deb http://myserver/debian frozen main contrib non-free

  Then I just chose the default selection and had no problems
  with it. All the packages were downloaded and installed without
  errors. It was very nice and smooth :)

[1] http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/i386/ch-init-config.html#s-preselections

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland