Re: Slink _minimum_ install from 2.1.4 disks

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:06:07 -0700 (MST), Bruce Sass <bsass@ecn.ab.ca> said:
> I will do another install or two, just to pin down how much room
> depmod needs (the base requires a little over 23M), and get back to
> this list with some better numbers and a list of installed
> packages...

Also, have you tried the specifically low-memory installation?

> ... or is it a waste of time defining the absolute minimum
> requirements for a Debian floppy install?

I think it sounds useful to determine these requirements.  Please take
a look at http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/i386/ and correct
that, if you care to, especially section 2.3.  In there I say:

     You must have at least 4MB of RAM and 20MB of hard disk.

>From your message, this should be 4MB RAM, and 25MB disk?

                                                               If you want
     to install a reasonable amount of software, including X window system,
     and some development programs and libraries, you'll need at least
     300MB. For a more or less complete installation, you'll need around
     800MB. To install _everything_ available in Debian, you'll probably
     need around 2 GB.

Is this reasonable still?

That you have to hand massage stuff is bad.  I guess I wouldn't want
to document limits that were predicated on hand-tweaking.