Re: building test suites from bug reports

In article <[🔎] 19981111122130.A4913@test.legislate.com>, Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:
> At the moment, I'm favoring extending the bug tracking system --
> that is, when closing the bug report the package maintainer should
> assign the bug to the appropriate "testing" class.  [Presumably we
> could add more testing classes if that becomes important.]  If the
> class of test is specific to the package then building the test
> remains the maintainer's responsibility [though, of course, anyone
> else could write up a test and submit it -- and this should be
> encouraged for cases which have hung around for a long time].  If
> the class of test is more pertinent to debian as a whole then it
> should be assigned to the appropriate entity (ftp.debian.org,
> policy, lintian, dpkg, ...).

Why do we need classes?  Either a bug is reproducible with a simple
script or it's not.  In case it is, it seems easier to attach a new
"propery" of bugs such that you could attach a script to reproduce it.

How are you coping with the fact that the BTS is not being actively
maintained, AFAIK?

How are you coping with the fact that bugs are deleted after a while?