Re: Slink attempted clean install

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 05:39:37PM -0800, Matt Thompson wrote:
[...]
> To start with, I installed from 8 floppies.  This has probably been asked
> before, but why does Debian require 8 floppies and RedHat only 2?

Debian does not require 8 floppies. You have several options:

- zero floppies install: Using bootable CD or booting from DOS.
- one floppy install: Booting from the rescue floppy and installing the
  modules and the base system from a CD or any local hard disk (or ZIP,
  or LS-120, or...).
- two floppies install: Booting from the rescue floppy, installing the
  kernel and modules from the rescue and drivers floppies and installing
  the base system from the net (using NFS).
- eight floppies install: installing everything from floppies.

> The initial install went without error, except that the install of the
> EEPro module failed.

Which version of the boot-floppies did you use? And what was the error
message?

> All in all, I found this to be a very tedious, frustrating install
> process, especially compared to my previous clean installs of Debian, and
> more recently, RedHat (actually Linux Mandrake).  It seems the process is
> getting more complicated, not less.  If Debian is a distribution intended
> only for the power user (I don't really qualify :), this is fine, I
> suppose, but 'mainstream' users will never be willing to use it.

Unfortunately, there have been a few big reorganizations just a short
time ago, and we haven't finished adapting the package preselections.
Also, I think the X packages should have a few more "suggests" and
"recommends" than they currently have, but I haven't found the time to
have a deep look at them and send the maintainer any suggestion.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es