Re: Failing to obtain DHCP address from Swisscom Hotspots

On 29/10/13 13:49, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> the MOBILE and Swisscom hotspots in Switzerland allow VPN
> connections to the universities, such that one can surf there for
> free via VPN with a university account.
>
> I have such an account, and it works fine on MONZOON and in the
> universities, but whenever I cannot connect to Swisscom.
>
>   - I am failing to get an association with MOBILE access points
>   - "Swisscom" access points associate with me, but then don't
>     assign a DHCP lease
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a problem with my Sid
> machine (Intel iwlwifi card, dhcpcd client), or is the fault to be
> found on the side of Swisscom?

I was over in Mountain View recently using my laptop (wheezy, iwlwifi)
in a cafe that provides a public WLAN

It appeared to associate with the AP but failed to get any IP, much like
what you describe

Another developer sitting next to me with Fedora on his laptop was able
to associate and get an IP and use the internet.  Maybe you could get
results from Fedora users trying the same Swisscom AP to see if the
issue is Debian specific?

I didn't have time to investigate the issue, but I have had similar
issues from time to time where I could get on the wifi with my phone but
not from the laptop