Re: [Debconf13-ch] [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf13 bids: Costs

Gaudenz Steinlin dijo [Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 12:43:32PM +0100]:
> > Humh... If DebConf were to be a weekend activity, or something short
> > as most conferences, we could entertain this idea. But cooking for 300
> > people is not something you can do just as a hobby. Specially if you
> > want those 300 people to enjoy the food and continue happily
> > hacking. We could consider cooking ourselves for a daytrip activity,
> > but I would prefer not to consider it for day-to-day
>
> What we were considering was not that Debconf attendees actually cook
> the food but to hire someone who will be responsible for the cooking
> (a (semi)-professional cook) and that Debconf attendees would help in
> the citchen as volunteers. But I'd only consider this option if Le Camp
> won't give us a significant discount on their food prices.

Ok, that might work. Of course, we'd have to better define what
"volunteer" means, how many people would we need, with what
responsabilities... But it could be made to work.

> I don't know how much demand for additional knives there is, but if we
> would have sold the Debian branded knives at their store prices (They
> were cheaper as if you'd buy them in a store because of the high volume)
> we would have made a plus of about 7000 €. That's not that bad...

Humh, you move a fair amount of money there, then! :)

> > > - In emergency we could move debconf to Geneva or Zurich: bunkers +
> > > university (but venue and bunkers are far).
> >
> > Right, please consider this as well for the decision meeting! What
> > does "far" mean? And being inside a city has many other interesting
> > advantages.
>
> It means like 15 minutes walking distance. But to be honest I don't like
> to consider this option at this stage because if we are going to have
> Debconf in Switzerland with accommodation in bunkers then I'd prefer to
> have it in another country with better accommodation.

Well, if this helps for considering it: Look at the list archives, a
couple of days ago - We were also requesting the Latvia team not to
pursue their main proposed venue if something cheaper were to be
available.

So, to give you motivation, compare a DebConf in bunkers in
Switzerland to a DebConf in bunkers in Latvia ;-) (even though the
conditions might not be the same). The ideal, I know, is somewhat
different. But we cannot aim for the ideal, we can aim for the real.