Re: DebConf13.ch

On 07/27/2011 08:56 PM, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Didier Raboud wrote:
>> Le mercredi, 27 juillet 2011 03.56:40, Luca Capello a écrit :
>>> Is anyone interesting?  Should we apply or at least ventilate the
>>> hypothesis to hold it in Switzerland?
>>
>> I have really mixed feelings…
>
> Same here.
>
>> In random order:
>>
>> 	- woulnd't bidding for DC13 too early ?
>
> I think so, too.

On contrary, I think we are quite late to have a successful DC13
candidature. As I saw in the past, this early phase is essential:
- to find people
- to have ideas
- to discover problems
- to start connections with sponsors
- to find a city (usually at DC-2 the candidatures start at country level)
and usually the then-selected DCs have already a good plan/team at DC-2.

Now we have 5 months to slowly prepare a good bid, and there are a lot
of challenges. IMHO it is not much time.

I think we should start to prepare the bid now, and at starting now we
should critically check if we could deliver a good candidature or if we
should abandon the project DC13.ch.

>> 	- we need at least a rough idea about a possible place with a venue,
>> 	  reasonably priced hosting (or with various options from cheap to VIP)
>> 	  and reasonable public transportation connections
>
> I think that's currently the least problem.

Usually this is done later (and the actual venue is often selected after
the selection of DC). I'm confident we will have many good and cheap
choices.

[BTW I remember ETH conferences where some sponsored people was put in
the ETH bunker dormitories (we don't want that, but it is choice if
things turn bad)].

IMHO the most important problem now is to find enough people.

>> 	- starting with a MiniDC would be a good preparation and a good test for
>> 	  an eventual venue.
>
> Yeah, I really think, we should start slowly.

But then we should prepare the bid very quickly. Additionally I think
the venue will be probably different, considering the different size of
the confs.

A miniDC is a good preparation and test, and after that we will have a
good understanding of our capacities (in number of people and in
organizing stuffs), but after the miniDC we will have not much time to
prepare a good debconf bid.

So I really think we should start now to make publicity of DC13.ch and
find earlier as possible people and problems.

Today I'll create the Swiss DC13 wiki page, to start collecting the
informations.

ciao
	cate