Re: [Debconf13-ch] Information about rooms at ETH Zurich

Hi all.

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 11:56:55AM +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:33:40 +0100, Marcus Moeller<marcus.moeller@gmx.ch>   wrote:

If bunkers are an option, I would like to re-add Zurich as possible
location. We could offer very cheap sleeping locations in bunkers and
got a venue which should perfectly fit, here at the ETH.

Fair enough I'd say we could give you a last chance. Just until now
nobody from Zurich showed up with a detailed proposal. If you can
prepare a dossier which brings the same level as geneva and vaumarcus.
This means: preliminary talks with the potential venue about rooms and
prices, detailed information about the quality and price of the
accomodation, plan for catering, etc. The document about geneva in the
private git repository is a good example.

The city of Zurich will help us to find (hopefully cheap)
accommodations, but the big problem for Zurich is to find the venue:
we really need a ETH or UNI insider (to get better chances, and
better offers), probably sponsored by a full professor.

PS: IIRC there is one professor in MTEC department who organized
some talks about open source [about sociology and organization].

PS: Or maybe we could talk to Google, but I don't think they have
"preferred" (also with "preferred" price) venues of "our" size.

And the second problem is the local team. I found myself alone on
organizing the Zurich bid. So if there are other active volunteers,
I'm available to meet each others and to help to complete the bid
[but not alone again]. OTOH I now prefer the non-city bids (hoping
that also the global debconf team will agree on such choice).

I was in contact with the secretery of D-ITET department, about asking
for rooms for the conference. We could get support from D-ITET at ETH
Zurich on rooms at least, this meens the big Scherrer Hoersaal and
other rooms.  And as long my employer agrees on the project, the
deparment will be too behind the project. Details and budget needs to
be presented again however to the department.

The only problem I have is that we need in advance already need to go
trough the Bewilligungsstelle ETH, even as preliminary request [1].

  [1] http://www.vs.ethz.ch/about/Bewilligungsstelle

I asked there and in 'principle' from thematic point of view of the
conference it would be possible to have it at ETH Zurich. Precondition
is still that we have a 'patronat' from department administration. So
far we have the above from D-ITET department.

There would be rent consts for the room, as this is not an ETH event.
Furthermore it still depends on when exactly the conference would be
as it is strictly not possible to have it during the term, or during
the exam time. They said, when this is known more concrete
clarification could be done.

Marcus as you already organized such events at ETH do you have more
details needed?

We have booked the rooms in the name of project 21 which is part of the vseth. As this is a approved student organization, we got the rooms for free.

If that helps, I can ask them if we can do it this way, again.

Greets
Marcus