[Swiss Knife] Call for discussion

Hi all again,

As we discussed recently over IRC, the idea of producing a set of branded Swiss
knifes with the Debian logo (playing with the "Universal tool" idea) is now
floating in the air : so I hereby propose to seek for the best models, slogans,
prices, etc.

I already Google'd somehow, and I mostly looked in the Victorinox direction. Of
course, the discussion is open to Wenger fans. :-)

=== Tools choice ===

I made a rapid selection of the essential tools I would appreciate to have on a
Debian knife (see http://victorinox.ch/?page=550&lang=E ):

  large blade, corkscrew, can opener, cap lifter

IMSO (In My Scout Opinion), these are by far the most used tools on a
swissknife. The "minimal" knife with those tools is the Spartan, either standard
or "EcoLine" (more robust coating [nylon instead of cellidor], but matt).

	Spartan	(91 mm)
		Standard	1.3603	http://victorinox.ch/?page=158&lang=E	19 CHF
		EcoLine	3.3603	http://victorinox.ch/?page=334&lang=E	18 CHF

I also appreciate the bigger models but they might be somehow big (and way more
expensive):

	Nomad	0.8353.3		http://victorinox.ch/?page=410&lang=E	34 CHF
	/!\ Black…

Otherwise, there are other types that might be of interest :

	Cybertools (set of screwdrivers)
		1.7605.T		http://victorinox.ch/?page=138&lang=E		60 CHF
		1.7725.T		http://victorinox.ch/?page=349&lang=E		62 CHF
	SwissCard (small creditcard-format flat "knife")
		0.71**		http://victorinox.ch/?page=620&lang=E		26 CHF

And finally, some accessories:

	Belt Bags			http://victorinox.ch/?page=3&lang=E
	Belt Pouches		http://victorinox.ch/?page=4&lang=E

The price would depend on the chosen model, so I'd argue that the discussion
would mostly run around the idea of either: a) providing no pouch b) selling a
pouch with each and every knife (no leftover) c) having the pouches "optional"
(risk of having leftovers).

=== Marking ===

As can be seen on http://victorinox.ch/?page=145&lang=E , several markings
methods are possible, depending on the model. I propose to postpone the choice
of the marking method to sometime after we decided about the model.

Information about the marking available space etc. can be seen on their 2 PDFs:

http://victorinox.ch/images/content/page115/Promotional_Products_09_6916_1.pdf
http://victorinox.ch/images/content/page115/PremiumMarketing_9_6917_1.pdf

It seems that you can choose to keep or discard the Victorinox emblem, thus
allowing more space for our slogan. In any case, marking can be done on the
emblem side or on the other. (I'd be to keep their emblem and either mark on the
same side or take profit of the complete other side).

=== Slogans and Logo ===

I don't actually have a great idea, but something in the mood of:

[Debian Logo] Debian, the Universal Tool

What do you think ?

=== Schedule ===

I haven't asked anything about prices, needed quantities et al' to Victorinox,
so we have no idea of the price. I propose the following schedule:

now			launch of the discussion about models, colors, slogans, …
end-february	end of the discussion, contact with {Wenger,Victorinox} to get
			prices proposal for the model and slogan we have chosen
end-march		return of the prices proposal, etc.
			decision by Debian.ch Board about quantities, money, …
end-april		Our knives are here ! (Before DebConf10 - 1-7. August)

Does all this seem reasonable ?

Best regards,

OdyX
--