Re: Meeting in Zurich Thursday, 3rd April

Hi,

Tobias Klauser schrieb am Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:19:20PM +0200:
> Michael Prokop (mika),

Mika! Mika! ;-)

mikap in #debian.de at OFTC btw. :-)

> the Project Leader of the grml Live-CD-Distribution [1] will be in
> Zurich Thursday, 3rd of April.

Cool!

> He wouldn't mind meeting some nice Swiss Debian people and having
> dinner and/or some beers together.

Will be around. But without beers. ;-)

> He'll be available from around 14h to 20h.

Hmm, so 20h is the end and we have no open end? This means many will
have to quit work earlier on that day. :-/

> Anyone who wants to join, please let me know.

*letyouknow*

> Proposals as for nice places to go in Zurich to have food/beer would
> also be very welcome as I'm not a Zurich local.

I can recommend:

* Tant Pis (despite the French name they have oriental / mediterran
  food free of gene-technology, a pub-like ambience similar to Cheyenne
  but the location is more spartanic, smaller and less crowded. And
  they have WLAN. :-)

  http://zuri.net/adr/18665/restaurant-bar_tant_pis.htm
  http://www.myzuri.ch/artikel/62.php

  Despite the not so good ratings on the second web page, I really
  like and can recommend it. Default after-talk location for
  Webtuesday.ch (then also crowded ;-). Never heard any complaints
  about this location from Webtuesday participants. It's between
  Zurich HB (main station) and Langstrasse.

+ Just opposite there's the Indian and Thai Restaurant Vulkan (good
  food, friendly but only English speaking waiters, not really cheap)

  http://www.restaurant-vulkan.ch/

  My parents like it very much, I'm just seldom in the right mood for
  Indian food. So IMHO a good choice if Mika wants Indian or Thai
  food, else I would prefer some other location.

* Hiltl (vegetarian restaurant, very fine ambience, IMHO very good
  quality / price relation: Not cheap but very fine food)

  http://www.hiltl.ch/restaurant.php

  Near Bahnhofsstrasse and Orell-Füssli.

* Muskatnuss (Caribic restaurant with Swiss/Caribic owners, tasty
  meals, big portions, low prices)

  http://www.muskatnuss.ch/

  My favourite if I want to eat good, much and cheap. :-)
  Fabrikstrasse (between Langstrasse and Escher-Wyss-Platz, near tram
  stations Quellenstrasse and Dammstrasse)

  One disadvantages: They have karaoke and football events sometimes.
  You do not want to be in there at that time. ;-)

+ Die Waid (two restaurants in one: a wok and a normal restaurant,
  very good meals, not cheap, very nice panorama view, reservation
  necessary, we probably won't get a window table so short in advance)

  http://www.diewaid.ch/

  Between ETH Hönggerberg and Bucheggplatz above Höngg and Wipkingen
  at the hillside of Käferberg, so little bit outside. You have to
  walk a few hundred meter up the hill from the bus station...

Giacomo A. Catenazzi schrieb am Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:35:53AM +0200:
> - Starbucks (quiet but no beer, no food)

I also refuse to go to Starbucks. I don't drink coffee (Sysadmin's
coffeïne factor achieved using Afri Cola ;-), nearly everything else
is neither very interesting nor very good (usually at high prices).
Not even their WLAN.

> - Cheyenne (in Oerlikon): beers and tex-mex food (not very
>   tex-mex according to our Spanish DD).

Like that one very much, too, although they dropped my favourite
burger there (one with grilled vegetables). My favourite location in
Oerlikon. Although I do prefer a location in down-town Zurich
(somewhere in or between Kreis 5, Niederdorf, and Bahnhofsstrasse).

		Regards, Axel
--
/~\                                    | Axel Beckert
\ /  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign        | abe@deuxchevaux.org     (Mail)