Re: Unneeded SH4 boards

On 10/28/2015 02:23 AM, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
> please correct me, if I'm wrong, but I believe Debian SH4 port is
> practicably unusable for years.

It's not, what makes you think so? I have invested lots of efforts
recently to get the port back into shape and together with the
help of upstream developers for the toolchain (gcc, binutils etc)
and the kernel we managed to fix many bugs and got the boards
running with recent kernel versions and gcc-5. I still continue
working on the port.

> The SH4 core architecture is pretty old, but I have some interest in its
> support related to Open Hardware initiatives, but my problem is that I
> can not find any SH4 reference boards for sale (digikey has only one
> from Renesas, but its price is too high for me, about $800 for a board
> and LCD).

Yeah, those boards are pretty hard to come by outside Japan. I visit
Japan regularly but I always keep on forgetting looking for additional
boards in Akihabara or other places.

> If anyone has spare SH4 boards, please contact me, I'll be glad to buy
> them at a price affordable for a hobbyist, from my side I'll check the
> status of Debian port and fix any outstanding problems (many years back
> ago I maintained SLIND including SH-4A port).

Nobuhiro works at Renesas and he has several sh4 boards at hand and
he sent me one board as well which I am using as a buildd and porter
box for Debian's sh4 board.

Maybe we can convince Nobuhiro to send you one of his other spare
boards. There were at least 10 boards running as buildds at some
point and nowadays it's only 6 (including my board), so there should
be definitely some boards flying around.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz